Monday, February 23, 2009

Modelling

Hats off to The Zebra Collection ; who operate a unique “no commission” online service for new talent and aspiring models. Having only been established as recently as 2005, the Chelsea based The Zebra Collection is fast becoming one of the most used online talent directories in London. It’s the one stop shop for London’s print fashion, film and TV extras, showroom and event hosting, with clients like Guess Jeans the Richard and Judy and Breast Cancer searching their database for talent.

While filming undercover trying to expose rogue modelling agencies, I found The Zebra Collection to be quite the opposite. The Zebra Collection actually run a smooth operation; they deliberately keep their overheads low by relying heavily on their online management tool, which was surprisingly sophisticated and user friendly. The database is accessible by Members (talent) who have their own unique log in ID, giving them access to an exclusive members only area where they are given one on one coaching and guidance before auditions and castings, a track record of their individual auditions and job history to date and a summary of client fees paid or pending. On the flip side Clients in search for models and talent can register with The Zebra Collection and search their entire database using advanced search criteria for anything from shoe size to hair type.

It seems to be working pretty well, as their database with some 300 strong members from a variety of backgrounds and experience is definitely pulling in the clients. The Zebra Collection also don’t seem to be charging commission on each assignment for which their members are selected, which means all fees payable are paid directly to the member.

It’s a unique business model as they rely only on two sources of income; new talent pay Zebra for their professional photos to create their member profile and new clients pay a fee allowing them unlimited access to search The Zebra Collection's database. Much to my disappointment there wasn’t an awful lot expose about Zebra who appear to be operating a legitimate business, opening plenty of doors for up and coming talent. In fact I was successfully auditioned for a modelling job with Breast Cancer Uk within 3 weeks of posting my profile, earning a tidy of sum £125 for just 4 hours of work.

5 comments:

  1. One of my friend was recently scouted by The Zebra Collection who offer work for models. But later I was told by another girl it is scam, me and my friend now totally confused. have any body got real success with them?

    sandra 23
    Lyston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sandra
    I have literally just got back from the Richard and Judy show where I was an extra in the new ‘Star Bar’ area, got to hang out with the celeb guests that were on show, drinks were free  plus was hypnotised live on camera but the celeb hypnotist and got paid £50 for day, was so much fun  This is about the 4th job The Zebra Collection have arranged for me in 2 months, did I mention the drinks were free hehehehehe.
    Chantelle Romford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    I was scouted by The Zebra Collection in Covent Garden last summer. Naturally I was very surprised to have this happen to me, as it was never something I had considered doing. I was contacted by them quite quickly after being scouted and was really excited to start working with them. They have been brilliant at not only helping me to create a profile, but in acquiring work and the general conduct required for the industry. I have had a great time doing loads of promotional work with them, and have also appeared as an extra on a movie. I’ve been very happy with the service they have offered me, and hope you have as much fun with them as I have!

    Becky, 19, Acton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra

    Firstly,in this type of industry people jump so quickly to use the word scam without really having much of an idea of what they are talking about, i have been with Zebra collection for a while now and if you can define being an extra on a few tv shows one big movie and some catalogue modelling a success, they yes i have had success with them, i have already paid of my portfolio plus earnt a little extra, and ontop of that all had allot of fun doing it>it really annoys me that there are allot of Haterz out there who insist on trying to ruin things for people, maybe they are just bitter because they have been ripped off by some cowboy agency in the past lol, as far as Zeb collection goes its 2 thumbs up for me

    Carly 19 South woodford

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandra!
    I would agree with Carly. A lot of people are quick to jump to conclusions about such agencies, but to be perfectly honest with you the laws are so stringent within the industry that the so called "scam companies" are stamped out within a couple of months. I have been with them for a really long time now, which alone should prove that they are not a scam... I've done LOADS of promotional work with them, which was a great way to get me started in the modelling work that I've acquired thanks to them!
    Jess, Pinner

    ReplyDelete